Humana users: make the switch to the Availity Web Portal
Humana and Availity have teamed up to make it easy for you to work with us online. The Availity Web Portal is now Humana’s preferred method for medical and behavioral health providers to check eligibility and benefits, submit referrals and authorizations, manage claims and complete other secure administrative tasks online.
If you currently use the Humana.com secure portal for any of these tasks, you can begin using the Availity portal now.
- Q: Why does Humana want me to use the Availity Web Portal?
A: Humana and Availity are working to streamline health care processes wherever possible. Humana has selected Availity as its preferred provider portal as a way to help health care providers access secure information and submit transactions online. By using the multi-payer Availity Web Portal, you can access information and transactions from Humana and other payers on one website.
- Q: Why did I receive a request from Humana to register for the Availity Web Portal?
A: Humana is contacting users who are registered as Primary Access Administrators (PAAs) for the secure Humana.com provider portal and asking them to register for the Availity Web Portal. If you receive this request, we ask that you begin using the Availity Web Portal to see its advantages for yourself and other users in your organization.
- Q: I am registered for the Humana.com secure portal. Is it going away?
A: Yes, at some point access to the Humana.com secure portal will be shut down. Humana is migrating to Availity as its sole secure portal for health care providers. Please register for the Availity Web Portal now to access Humana’s newest tools and resources, along with customized training opportunities. See “Get up to speed quickly with training opportunities” below for more information.
- Q: I received a request to register for the Availity Web Portal, but I know others who have not. Why is that?
A: Within each region, Humana is notifying organizations’ PAAs. This way, the PAA can determine the approach and timeline for notifying and registering other users in the organization. However, any health care provider may register for the Availity Web Portal.
- Q: Any tips on how to locate familiar features on the Availity Web Portal?
A: Following is a list of features on the Availity Web Portal that have different names than Humana.com:
- Q: What is Humana’s relationship with Availity?
A: Availity was formed in Jacksonville, Florida, as a joint venture between Florida Blue (formerly Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida) and Humana in an effort to improve efficiency and reduce administrative complexity in the health care industry, with the ultimate goal of improving health care outcomes. Humana uses Availity as its clearinghouse for transacting with health care providers. And, as a payer-owner, Humana continues to collaborate with Availity to develop and improve online tools for health care providers.
- Q: What are the plans for Humana.com?
A: Humana is migrating its secure provider portal tools to the Availity Web Portal and asking that health care providers use Availity for online transactions. When the migration is complete, the secure Humana.com provider portal no longer will be available. However, Humana’s public website that does not require registration, Humana.com, will continue to offer information to health care providers as it does today.
- Q: When is the secure Humana.com provider portal going away?
A: The portal will no longer be available once the migration is complete. A date has not been set at this time. However, by registering and beginning to use Availity now, you will have access not only to the latest resources and tools, but also to customized training opportunities available in each region during migration. See “Get up to speed quickly with training opportunities” below for more information.
The Availity Web Portal is a multi-payer site where you can use a single user ID and password to work with Humana and other participating payers online. Availity is compliant with all HIPAA regulations, and there is no cost to register or use any of the online tools.
- How do I register for the Availity Web Portal?
To register, go to www.Availity.com and select “Get Started.” Follow the prompts to register. You will need:
- Basic information about your practice, including your federal tax ID and NPI.
- The name of someone with the legal authority to sign agreements for your organization. Typically this is an owner or senior partner.
- The name of an Administrator to oversee implementation and maintain access for your entire organization.
- If you have a check from Humana handy, you can complete the registration in real-time.
- You will receive an email from Availity with the user name you created and temporary password. You may then begin registering other users for your organization.
- What support and training materials are available?
To make the transition easy, Humana and Availity have teamed up to offer a variety of training and informational sessions. Training and help can be found under the “Help” link in the upper right corner of every Availity portal page. Recorded demonstrations and online help are available 24/7.
- As an Administrator, how do I register additional users in my organization?
The Add User help topic on the Availity Web Portal explains how to add users, either one at a time, or with a spreadsheet.
- Is my organization required to use Availity’s clearinghouse services in order to use its web portal?
No. The portal is available whether or not you use Availity’s clearinghouse services.
- What other payers can I transact with via the Availity Web Portal?
View a searchable list of payers.
- Who do I contact if I need help registering for the Availity Web portal?
For registration assistance, call Availity Client Services at 1-800-AVAILITY (282-4548). Assistance is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern time (excluding holidays).
The Availity Learning Center also features live and recorded online training where you can get an introduction to Availity and the Web Portal, as well as learn how to perform specific tasks.
Need help with registration?
If you need help with registration or have questions about your Availity account, call us at 1-800-282-4548. Representatives are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern time, excluding holidays.
If you have questions about Humana.com or the move to the Availity Web Portal, please send an email to eBusiness@Humana.com.