Availity delivers revenue cycle and related business solutions for health care professionals who want to build healthy, thriving organizations. Availity has the powerful tools, actionable insights and expansive network reach that medical businesses need to get an edge in an industry constantly redefined by change.
The Unix-Linux Administrator Intern will work on the Linux Support team.
- This position will be focused on entry level skills administering and managing Availity physical and virtual infrastructure servers, operating systems and middleware systems including Dell, Linux, VMware, Datapower and Apache.
- The UNIX Intern will learn and assist team members in support of Availity’s UNIX platform. This position requires a basic level knowledge of UNIX operating systems, such as Linux, HP-UX, or AIX.
Regular activities will include:
- Day-to-day system administration: Monitor status of scheduled jobs, perform task/script restarts as needed, monitor system errors and prepare for corrective actions, monitor filesystem space.
- Performance monitoring: Run, manage, and maintain performance monitoring of UNIX systems. Generate and analyze reports to identify resource utilization trends.
- Task automation: Identify opportunities for task automation using UNIX shell scripts (e.g., ksh, perl) and scheduling with Tidal. Maintain and enhance existing scripts.
- Technical documentation: Create and maintain technical documentation for the UNIX environment.
- Security: Identify and remediate UNIX software and security vulnerabilities.
- Disaster recovery: Review data replication and backup activity. Assist with maintaining system recovery documentation.
- Installs, tests, tunes, maintains, designs and documents supporting systems, utility programs, monitoring tools, etc.
- Monitor, analyze and tune the operating system and custom/canned applications
- Schedule, communicate and manage change control in an enterprise which supports/effects multiple hardware and software platforms.
- Provide and support systems management in an environment requiring availability of 99.9 %.
- Responsible for trouble-shooting different software and hardware issues and documenting the results.
- Support communications protocol servers for Linux/Windows.
- Installs, configures, and tests different product sets on Linux operating systems.
- Creates repeatable processes and procedures to help with O/S and other hardware/software installations, software/hardware related trouble-shooting, security, and performance testing.
- Works with team and manager to document logical steps of installing operating system and other firmware and software packages.
- Works directly with customer representative to obtain and refine functional and technical requirements.
- Satisfies requirements, meets agreed to completion date, and performs unit and integration tests for products developed.
- Prepares detailed requirements, design, and test case documentation
- Works with Quality Assurance specialist and in coming up with documented processes and procedures for specific OS/hardware and software package environments.
- Gathers requirements, working closely with project team members and the customer and creates detailed functional and technical requirements.
- Performs process and procedure reviews to make sure that the installation, testing, and administration related documents adhere to Availity standards and meets industry’s best practices.
- Responsible for guiding team members on areas of expertise and communicating the requirements, system administration, and testing responsibilities for these proficiencies.
- Accepts the lead for projects as assigned and contributes as a team member to other projects in an ongoing manner.
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to the job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected or asked to perform.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or the equivalent.
- We are looking for an individual currently pursuing a degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Engineering Technology, MIS, or a related major.
- 1+ years experience working with Linux Systems required.
Preference will be given to those candidates with;
- Experience in a 24x7 production environment.
- 2+ years experience in programming OS Utility Shell scripts.
- Experience in writing detailed technical documentation, specifically business requirements and functional specifications.
- Experience in programming with Perl.
- 2+ years experience supporting VMWare environments.
- 2+ years experience supporting SAN disk arrays.
- Experience working with Electronic Data Interchange
- Experience with configuration management systems such as CfEngine, Chef or Puppet.
- Experience programming in Java.
- Experience administering systems running Oracle.
- Experience working with Product Management teams in a large enterprise.
- Red Hat Certified Technician certification a significant plus.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong academic record.
- Passionate about technology and a desire to focus on IT infrastructure.
- Ability to work hands-on with enterprise class hardware (installation, cabling, labeling, etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong relationship management and collaboration skills.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Adaptability and ability to learn quickly in high-pressure environments.
- Ambitious self-starter who has demonstrated the ability to contribute as an effective team member.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated motivation and initiative to succeed.
- Willingness and ability to give presentations to colleagues, managers and directors.
- Understanding of web development methodologies, application design, navigation, and information architecture.
- Demonstrated ability to use discretion and make sound decisions.
- Ability to work under pressure. Maintains composure and professionalism in an interrupt-driven environment. Must be able to multi-task.
- Must be flexible and embrace change.
Availity is an equal opportunity employer and makes decisions in employment matters without regard to race, religious creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, religion, marital status, medical condition, disability, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, or any other classification protected by federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
NOTICE: Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. When required by state law or federal regulation, Availity uses I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification in conjunction with E-Verify to determine employment eligibility. Learn more about E-Verify at http://www.dhs.gov/e-verify.